Dolby Atmos remasters?

Hello-

Used to lurk here but never set up an account until right now.

I just put a 7.1 home theater together and finally got to test out my Automatic for the People Dolby Atmos disc, which sounds incredible. Have any other albums been remastered in Atmos? If so I need to track them down.

Alex

1 Like

I know that AFTP and UP are there, as Iā€™ve owned them. Pretty sure OOT and NAIHF must be there, too. Perhaps Green as well?

Have a look at www.discogs.com - you should be able to find them there if they exist.

1 Like

Yes, NAIHF is here for example. Quite cheap, too. :slight_smile:

And beware, as you probably know, there is a European and a US version of the DVDā€™s (glad that stupid difficulty is in the past. :laughing: )

EDIT: Realized youā€™re asking for 7:1, and the ones I link to (and remembered) were the 5:1 ones from 2005ā€™ish - not sure Iā€™ve heard of the 7:1ā€™s, so I might not be of much help.

1 Like

This is in 5.1 surround (which is still the standard for this sort of DVD bonus discs). Atmos is 7.1 spatial audio, so seven speakers vs. five. Iā€™m sure the customer base for this is still rather small but more albums are popping up on streaming with Atmos. The new remaster of the Beatles rooftop concert has it for example.

2 Likes

I have a 9.1 Dolby Atmos system, which is just a 5.1 system with speakers pointing up on the L,R and both rear speakers. A few artists mix their new albums for Dolby Surround, but mostly its for home theatre. The new Taylor Swift Albums have an Atmos mix and sound amazing.
Yes, the 5.1 mixes of the REM albums still sound amazing on a home theatre setup (5.1/ 7.1 etc) - Leave absolute rocks. And the Atmos mix of Automatic is beautiful.

in answer to your question, Document to Reveal (as well as ā€˜In Timeā€™) have been released with 5.1 mixes. I havenā€™t heard Document but the other releases are worth tracking down.

Around The Sun was also released with a 5.1 mix.

2 Likes

Nope, only Automatic was remixed in Dolby Atmos. They wanted to do something extra special for that anniversary release. The other sets that include a bluray are the recycled 5.1 mixes from the 2005 DVD-A releases. They are with slightly better specs compared to the DVDs as they are now in DTS-HD 5.1 Master audio compared to the old DTS and Dolby Digital audio of the DVD era.

1 Like

Dam, I canā€™t remember if I have Around The Sun. Iā€™m at work for the next 10 hours and its going to bug the hell out of me.

1 Like

I feel like Mikeā€™s response to the possibility of other Atmos mixes for other albums was ā€œsure, if they [people making these mixes?] want to pay for thatā€ so I donā€™t necessarily have high hopes for future releases.

The atmos mix is definitely very nice but Iā€™m not 100% sold on the tech if only because it occasionally makes me feel strangely motion sick? There are two albums I really like in atmos (AFTP and a Tori Amos one) but otherwise, itā€™s really a cointoss as to how good it actually, actually sounds to my ears. But Iā€™m not an audiophile so Iā€™m sure Iā€™m missing something.

Now that Apple Music has Atmos, on Apple TV, its become way easier to enjoy. AFTP sounds amazing. We put a 9.1 setup in our new house.

1 Like

Where SACD/DVD-A 5.1 surround discs never really caught on, it does seem like the streaming services (especially Apple and Amazon) are putting a good push on Atmos now. I have a Sonos Atmos-enabled home theater setup and Iā€™d love to hear more of R.E.M. there!

Iā€™ll try replying to this email I got - by email to see where it goes. Home theater, sweet!

1 Like

Yes, I enabled reply by email now.

See,I got this in an email. Tried replying by email to see where it goes. I have no idea where it is!! So Iā€™ll reply here that home theaterā€¦sweet! :blush::rooster:

Oh, there it is, sorryā€¦I promise to stop being a pain. Hope I figure it all out!

1 Like

I have no idea what I did but I changed my picture!!! My bio says I am a miniatures artist and although the pencil (for size) got cut, this cat is about 1-1/2inches. Itā€™s Cat from Early Edition, the cat that brings tomorrowā€™s newspaperā€¦ today. The news paper is about an inch. Why am I putting this here? Because look at the cover. I put R.E.M. on the cover! Itā€™s 8 pages front and back with lots of random R.E.M. on the inside pages too!!!

I hope yaā€™ll arenā€™t mad that I put this here but who else would recognize R E M. on the cover? None of my mini friends.

Oooops wrong catagory. Sorry. Donā€™t know how to put new topic. Iā€™ve seen it but can never find my way back

1 Like

Itā€™s alright. Just checked, Around The Sun in the bookshelf.

1 Like

I listened to the Dolby Atmos Mix of AFTP on Apple Music, and I wasnā€™t very impressed. Even listening to it on my AirPods Max didnā€™t make it any more exciting for me. I will always prefer the Original Mix. I get that artists want to give listeners a new experience by doing these Remixes, but I honestly feel some Classic Albums such as AFTP should be left alone. Thatā€™s just my humble opinion.

by and large, atmos is not made for stereo headphones, no matter how much apple and dolby would like you to believe. the 5.1 and atmos mixes for automatic are phenomenal when listened to on a 5.1 or atmos system.